Saturday, May 9, 2009

Randolph Street: Bob Dylan In Chicago

Jon Randolph is alive! Randolph Street is a day late but well worth the wait. Chicago's finest photojournalist tells the tale of today's pix in his own words. Take it away Jon. - The Eds.

I took these photos in September, 1975, when I was working for WTTW Channel 11 in Chicago. I'd loved Dylan since the Freewheelin' album was released in May, 1963. It was a dream come true that he was scheduled to appear on Soundstage for a tribute to John Hammond....
continued below pix








continued from above pix
I'm not sure Dylan was even the biggest star of the show - after all, Hammond had played a key role in the careers of Marion Williams, Helen Humes, Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson, George Benson, Red Norvo, Philly Joe Jones, Milt Hinton, and even John Hammond, Jr.

With Scarlet Rivera playing violin, Dylan sang "Hurricane," "Simple Twist of Fate," and "Oh, Sister." It was well after midnight when Dylan finished his set. I was standing next to a young hipster record producer when he said to his pal, "He's still got it. Goddamn, I thought he was through."

Amen.