Sunday, January 18, 2009

Benny Jay: Beating The Cold

(authored Thursday, January 16, 2008)

I get a call from Big Jeff, an old friend, who says he's got a ticket for me and my younger daughter for tonight's Bulls-Cavs game

So we drive south on Ashland, and hook up with Jeff and his son, Sammy, who's even bigger than Jeff, at the Billy Goat's on Madison Street. And we march through the Siberian freeze to the United Center. Only, like a dummy, I don't fully button my jacket. So there's this tiny piece of my ear exposed to the cold. And it stings like it's on fire. And I'm wondering how long can three blocks really be?

As we climb to the nose-bleed seats in the upper balcony, Jeff and I agree it will only be a quarter - maybe two - before the Cavs, who have the best record in the NBA, put the Bulls away. We predict LeBron James will score forty - at least - and the only Bull worth watching will be Derrick Rose....

But to our surprise, the Bulls come back after the Cavs break out strong, and it's with Kirk Hinrich -- just back from injury -- leading the charge. Not Rose -- he's on the bench. They're down two at half and tied after three, and it's back and forth in the fourth. And Tyrus Thomas -- that's right, Tyrus Freaking Thomas -- blocks LeBron's shot. Then he blocks another. The Bulls fall behind, but Rose hits two free throws to bring them back. And LeBron, covered tightly by Luol Deng, settles for a long jumper at the buzzer -- he should drive, but I think he doesn't want to go anywhere near Tyrus -- and the shot rims out.

In the overtime, Rose takes over. He races by Cavalier guards, drives the lane, draws the interior defenders and kicks a bullet pass to Deng, wide open in the corner. Bang -- Deng buries the three. And then they do the same play again a few moments later. Only this time Deng's shot bounces off the rim, flies in the air, and falls through the net. Hey, sometimes even the Bulls get lucky.

The walk back to Billy Goat's doesn't seem like a hike through the Arctic. The wind's not so strong. Sammy says he thinks it actually got a little warmer. I say it just feels that way 'cause my boys beat the best team in the NBA....